Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Communicating GIS Lab 6

This week we experimented with Choropleth maps. We learned different classification techniques and what each are useful for. I was able to create a few maps to practice my skills with the symbology and color ramps. One of the big learning points for me was the use of normalized data rather than raw data. The normalized data allows the creator to successfully display the information accurately while raw data would have no real meaning being classified.


The culmination of Lab 6 was our choropleth map of Colorado population change between 2010 and 2014. For my classification I used 6 classes in order to get 0% between two classes. I chose a color ramp of diverging red and green to show an increase in population with green hues and a decrease in population with red hues. The 6 classes were separated using the natural breaks classification. This gave me an accurate representation for all of the data without skewing the classes. I then adjusted the middle class to begin at 0%.

For the legend I ordered the classes to show the increasing percentages at the top and decreasing percentages at the bottom with their respective symbols. I rounded the percentages to two decimal places since the percentages were generally small. For the title and description I used the Population change and the years it occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment